Friday, August 29, 2008

Joe Van Dyke

Joe Van Dyke joined "The Four Horsemen" during the summer of 1929- a summer that would become a legend in Brethren camp history. He had been licensed to the ministry in 1925 at the age of 22.

After reading a letter he had written to his mother that summer he summarized his observations: I wrote that I had the most fun with Perry and I liked Chief (Chauncey) the best. I said nothing about Dan in that letter ... I liked Dan so much, but I never felt at ease with him as I did with the others.

Van Dyke would later graduate from Manchester College in 1935. For nineteen years he taught in elementary schools and for 22 years was a high school teacher, all in Michigan.

In 1930 (following the summer of 1929), he began writing regularly for The Gospel Messenger in which he was identified as "The Roamer." He contributed articles, short stories, and poems also to Our Young People and wrote one-act plays that he published on his own. He was one of the editors of Brethren Action, an independent journal published in the early 1940s.

Sources: The Brethren Encyclopedia
Passing on the Gift, Glee Yoder