The Brethren Service Commission had begun exploringing the feasibility of establishing a CPS unit in Puerto Rico as early as April of 1942 when Andrew Cordier was sent to investigate. His reports were favorable. David and Janet Blickenstaff were sent in June to organize the work under the local government, and the unit arrived in August.
Programs were established in medical care, community health and recreation, nutrition, sanitation, education and resources. A Brethren academy was opened for graduates of ninth grade in 1948, the same year the Castener congregation was started. A modern 33-bed hospital was built in 1959 and officially turned over to a local board of directors in 1976.
Source: The Brethren Encyclopedia