Thursday, August 07, 2008

1958 Brethren Tour

Lawrence W. Shultz led Brethren tours from 1945 to 1970. In 1958 he led an Anniversary Tour with 72 participants to England, Scotland, and Europe including the 250th Anniversary of the Church of the Brethren in Schwarzenau, Germany. In his book, People and Places, he includes some Quotable Quotes from that 1958 Tour Party.

I'm just going to shine in European History at Bridgewater this year, The tour notes are tremendous. I cannot tell you how much pleasure and help they have given me.
- Doris Jean Miller

Oh for our Blue Bus again to run away from chores, telephones, meetings, etc.....
- Ada Gehrett

My film convinced the folks that we saw places and did things such as no other group ever did. - Margaret Geisel

I have more than 900 pictures of the trip. They tell a tremendous story to me.
- David Hanawalt

We often look back to Europe through our mind's eye. We thought you would like to see yourself asleep in Holland. Here is a slide. - Emma and Clyde Weaver

It sounds like they had a wonderful time. I trust those going to Europe/Schwartzenau this month will also have many pleasant memories of their trip as well.