Tomorrow, marks the 49th anniversary of the Church of the Brethren General Office building dedication on April 8, 1959.
According to The Brethren Encyclopedia, the General Brotherhood Board began a long-range study of the church's headquarters in Elgin in 1952. Four years later in 1956 the Annual Conference "adopted with gratitude" a plan for purchasing land and construction of new facilities.
Located on 24 acres on the northeast edge of Elgin, the facilities consist of a building with an area of 97,000 square feet. The building includes office space for the staff of the General Board, BBT, ABC, Brethren Press, a chapel, and the Brethren Historical Library and Archive.